Position Title: Quality Assurance Engineer - aWhere, Inc. (Durham, NC)
aWhere is currently searching for an experienced testing professional. This individual will be expected to perform a variety of software testing and quality assurance tasks to ensure that our software products meet our standards and end-user requirements. Additional responsibilities include helping drive the quality and stability of applications while simultaneously reducing the project delivery cycle time. The candidate must be able to work with a virtual team of geographically diverse Software Testers, Software Engineers, Data Analysts, and Project Managers. This role requires self-motivation, independence, initiative, excellent communication skills, multi-tasking capabilities, and teamwork. This person must be able to work with little or no supervision. As a Quality Assurance Engineer you will test existing and new features from end-to-end through a wide variety of testing procedures. You should enjoy working closely in a team, in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities and Functions:
- Work with the development team and business users to perform QA testing for our web-based products
- Execute tests, troubleshoot failures, identify and resolve problems, review and reports on results
- Develop reasonable test estimates as part of sprint planning, based on the sprint’s user stories and ensure testing timelines are met
- Work with Product management to take detail story driven requirements and implement them using Agile Test Driven techniques
- Validate that software performs to established guidelines
- Participate in the full life cycle of the product development within a scrum team
- Conduct sprint testing using methods such as exploratory, functional test case, and regression
- Effectively collaborate with scrum team developers to quickly resolve issues that are discovered during sprint testing
- Log, track and verify resolution of defects
- Define and track quality assurance metrics such as defects, defect counts, test results and test status
- Coordinate QA and Production release activities
- Monitor product quality throughout the release life cycle
- Evaluate readiness of product for customer availability
- Actively participate in planning meetings, daily scrums, and retrospectives
- Identify and communicate challenges encountered in the development and test process, and recommends changes
Required Knowledge and Experience
- 3+ years of solid quality assurance (QA) experience in Manual and Automated testing for Web-based products
- 3+ years of software life-cycle experience with a clear understanding of the product development cycle
- Working experience with Scrum and Agile methodology
- Advanced understanding of database concepts and SQL queries
- Well-versed in software QA best practices, processes
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects concurrently on tight deadlines
- Effective written / oral communication skills as well as analytical skills
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Effective time management, managing own deadlines and dependencies
- Ability to learn new technologies as needed
- Should be very strong in testing concepts
- Should be independent and proactive and should be able to work with team members across various locations
- Experience using bug management systems: JIRA preferred
- Ability to interact with software engineers to identify and resolve issues
- Understand business requirements and translate them to Agile stories and tests
- Good communication skills – you be will working closely with the product, development team as well as other QA team members when reporting, diagnosing and testing issues and new features.
- Advanced working knowledge in implementing test automation is a plus
- Strong familiarity with SQL and relational databases (MS SQL Server a plus)
- Bachelor's degree with applicable work experience in related field preferable. Experience may be substituted for education.
- Must have the ability to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time.
- May require occasional lifting of a minimum 25 pounds from above, below and on an even plane.
- Work is performed in a normal, climatized and lighted office environment.
- Minimal travel
*The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
aWhere, Inc. is the leading location intelligence company for innovative solutions across agriculture and global development. aWhere’s solutions provide powerful visualization, analytics and recommendations to decision makers, donors, policy makers, farmers and other individuals resulting in more effective agricultural and development initiatives and investments. Our clients range from private industry to foundations (such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation), government (USAID), plus non-profit organizations.
aWhere provides challenging and interesting work with exposure to current technologies. Our work has very real and immediate impact on the lives and well-being of people around the globe.
Learn more at http://www.awhere.com/en-us
How to Apply: If you are interested in joining the aWhere team, please send your CV (mention the position of interest in the subject line of your e-mail) to this email address.